Sunday, June 20, 2010

High Chair Make Over

Before- uhgg.. can't look at it any longer!
After
 
I LOVE how this project turned out!  After 4 kids using it- the seat cover had seen better days and rather bothered me...  $7 and a few hours later, I'm loving it!   I used a light weight plastic over the fabric to make it wipe-off-able (yes that's a word if your a mom).  I had bought a really cute 3rd cordinating fabric to make the ruffle out of- but because the ruffle was the part that really got dirty (and so quickly) and I couldn't encase that in plastic, I decided against.   I stink at making tutorials because I just make things up as I go and hope they turn out, but this is basically the jist...
*find some awesome fabric on sale at Hobby Lobby, I bought a 1/2 yard of the brown and green fabrics each, and 1 yd of the plastic- but I have atleat half of the plastic left over
*lay out the old cover on big paper and trace it to make a pattern
*cut your new fabric a 1/2" bigger (if your using more than one fabric to make the front- sew them to together and cut out your batting, and backing the same size  (I used two layers of batting)
*line up all the pieces and cut out the sqare that goes around the leg piece (and  make a slit for buckles to go through if you use them- I don't- so I didn't :)  my original has a cut out in the top back for the lever to recline the seat, I didn't put that in the new one- I use the lever to slide Layla in and out of it all the time, but I squeeze it from the back. hint: cut small the hem will make it bigger, you can go bigger if needed but can't make it smaller :)
* cut a piece to go over the back or what ever holds the seat on- I did mine a little different than the original and it stays on even better.  I used my pattern to get the same shape at the top as the front pieces and made it about 4" wide, zig zagged stitched elastic on the bottom edge while I stretched it out, folded it in and zig zagged again- it fits just above my reclining lever
*and  the tricky part- sew it all together so that  it turns right side out and the seams are all inside!
*Hem the cut out parts, I just folded them in and top stitched around it, I also top stiched on the seam between the brown and green fabrics
* I used stick on velco to hold the bottom on at each side and in the bottom front

*I also used a razor blade to scrape off what was left of the Fisher Price paint on the front of the tray, a little red I couldn't get off, but it looks better

 Note: The plastic makes it wipe-off-able, but it wont machine wash as many times because the plastic will eventually crack- without the plastic it would machine wash as many times as a quilt would- it's debatable... I wonder how well A LOT of Scotch-Gaurd would work?? 

Layla is two and I had the other girls in booster at the table at that age, but I've learned that the high chair is much easier to clean than the table, the booster seat, her chair, the floor, and the sister that would sit next to her.  She has no objection to sitting in the high chair or wearing a bib, because that means food is coming her way- so I'll keep her in there as long as I can and since it matches my kitchen, I don't mind a bit!


I also changed the shelf decor to family pictures... I'm so pleased with my self because I think it's the first time ever I got the pictures and the frames and put them up in the same day (normally I buy the frames and they sit empty forever, I have two empty frames above my bed, or I have the pictures and no frames)
So do you hear my table screaming, "My turn, my turn, wouldn't I look good with a dark walnut top and antiqued white legs?!"
cuz that's what I hear it saying!  Scott doesn't, but I think he needs his ears checked because it's gettin louder everyday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So Cute! You did a great job on the cover- I want to do one now for my high chair-- and the cute stuff you did for fathers day-- Your seriously amazing! I'm sure he loved it.