Wednesday, April 30, 2008

And Mommy's On Her Side...

"They say that Mommy isn't sick,
but I worry just the same.
Lots of doctors, funny monitors,
medicine with scarry names.
We don't go places like we used to,
since Mommy rests all day.
I ask, How many tomorrows happen,
until Mommy comes out to play?"















I received a care package from my dear sister-in-law the other day with knitting needles and a learn to knit book, it has been fun (and challenging!) to learn. After I kinda got the hang of a basic knit stitch, I thought I would try some of the more complicated but prettier stitches to use for baby blankets. None of my tries looked quite like the pictures in the book, so I have now resorted back to basic knitting on a dish rag! I'll master it before I have this baby though! She also included in the package some books for kids with moms on bed rest (what a genius author)! Here's a few pages that tells exactly how it's been around our house!

As for my perinatologist appointment today, I thought it would be a quick appointment, she'd review my chart and make a plan, boy was I wrong! This doctor flies into town one to two times a month with her own specialist team and between the three of them, I don't think they could miss a thing! On the ultrasound, baby is looking great, but I'm not such a great incubator- after lots of monitoring, steeling five tubes of my blood, and a great debate whether to admit me to the hospital, they did decide to send me home with appointments on Friday and Monday. I just want to be able to make it to Alyse's recital on Saturday, then they can take me! I'll be 34 weeks on Sunday, in which the baby should be able to breathe, suck, and swallow at the same time and produce it's own lung surfactant, so after that point it might be time to "bail out" as the Dr. puts it, as for now I'm strictly down and we wait and see! The baby is about 4 1/2 lbs (estimated to 1/2 lb accuracy), we do have some preemie clothes, just in case!

















They say the baby's getting bigger,
Mommy's belly's growing too.
But I'm growing exasperated,
and a little frustrated too.
I see lots of Mommies with
big bellies walking all around.
But still my Mommy's resting,
even though she's just as round.

4 comments:

The Despain Gang said...

That books sounds so perfect and cute for your kids. How fun! Unfortunately the doctor's visit and the strict bed rest doesn't sound as fun. Hope all goes well; keep us updated.
-Melissa

Clarissa Weideman said...

That is a cute book. I hope that you make it to Alyse's recital too. That is cool that you are learning to knit. A few years ago I knitted scarfs for our whole family...I wouldn't enter them anywhere, but they keep our necks warm :)

Anonymous said...

Stacy sent me the link to your blog. I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. Mason loved this book when I was on good ol' bedrest! The problem was...every time I tried to read it I cried over how true it was. A little bit of happy tears to still be pregnant and a few sad tears to be in bed pregnant. Those darn pregnancy hormones! Take care.
Molly Allen

Anonymous said...

Wow, a day or two of bedrest sounds great but weeks and weeks...you are a great mommy and soon this little one will be in your arms :)