Saturday, April 30, 2011

3rd trimester, really??

Can I really be a few weeks into my 3rd trimester???  already???

My mother-in-law said, "Your going to have this baby and then wonder, how did it get here? was I really pregnant?"   

I think that admist making life changing decisions, moving, and finding a job, I remember that I am pregnant.  I do have a bump, some doctor appointments, and occasionally buy something for a boy, but I usually carry on like usual!

I haven't even said more than "I'm pregnant" and "It's a boy!" on here.  So I thought I'd take a moment to dwell on this pregnancy.  Just so I can remember that I really was pregnant!

First Trimester memories:  Tiredness.  So tired that I could not function without a nap and I usually fell asleep soon after the kids were in bed.  Nauseous.  I threw up Thanksgving dinner and Christmas dinner.  (Ham nor turkey sounds appealing still!)  I threw up so many times in 24 hours (not keeping a tsp. of fluid in me) I ended up in the ER with IV fluids and antinausea meds, ahhhhh!  and then tried really hard not to vomit everytime I helped a kid vomit or washed vomit out of their sheets the week everyone was sick.   I did kick back, plan on a nap, and was okay with not accomplishing anything like Christmas cards or all those things I normally accomplish during nap time and after the kids are in bed!

Second Trimester memories:  Made huge life changing plans, moved, unpacked, pulled weeds, painted shelves, planted trees, interviewed, got a job, etc. etc. etc.

My pregnacy miracle...
anyone remember pregnancy #4...  4 months of bed rest!   My 4 previous pregnancies I have had high blood pressure by 8-9 weeks and have been on blood pressure meds by 10-13 weeks.  It's what we expected this time (and a major reason why deciding to have #5 was so difficult for us).  Given my history, I was labled a "complicated OB" from my 1st visit at week 7.  HOWEVER, the complicated part hasn't come, at least not yet.  My last appointment at 27.5 weeks my BP was 120/50!   Yep, 50!!!!  (Flashback to #4... my blood pressure, on the max dose of meds, was in the 140-150s/90-110s by 4 1/2 months).  My theory...  I'm being blessed and Calcium.  Calcium is the one thing different with this pregnancy.  I started taking it when I realized how huge my calcium deficit was.  I didn't realize the effects of calcium in treating pregnancy induced hypertension until I helped Scott find a topic for his Anat & Phys paper and found a ton of medical journals on just that- Calcium to treat PIH.  The studies concluded that adding extra calcium doesn't help, but addinng calcium in a calcium deficit woman can help.  The OB and perinatologist in CO, when I asked them about my theory, they said it helps in so few it isn't a routine procedure.  My dr. here, believes with me.  She said it worked for her.  So cheers to Calcium!!!

and the dreaded 27 weeks pregnant picture....


2 comments:

Kate Fredrickson said...

gorgeous as always. so glad to hear your not on bed rest again!

The Despain Gang said...

You're an adorable pregnant mommy! Glad the calcium is working so well for you! That's definitely a blessing!

Where are you working? I didn't realize you'd started a job--I remember reading that you were looking but didn't realize you found something. Where is the famous super mom, Rube, employed? :)