We follow Scott's school schedule, so we had last week off to recover from Christmas, get some projects done, sew doll clothes with the girls, and get inspiration for our next semester of home school. Scott worked his 40 hours, but got to come home every afternoon and not worry about homework!!! Next week, he works 30 hours and starts a 17 credit semester. He'll be in his 4th and final chemistry class & lab, genetics, cell biology & lab, personal finance, and global politics (his LAST two generals!). uggghhhh!!! With each new semester comes a new schedule. I loved his schedule last semester; it worked so well around the rest of us. Now I have to figure it all out again!! I'm ready to get back to school with the kids though; I enjoy breaks, but I miss school too! I had some time over break to get some good inspiration and I'm ready to go (let's just hope Audrey cooperates)!
Project #1
Our whole house was painted the same grey tan color (which I love), except one wall. This wall was a very dark maroon and less then likable. Not only did I despise the color, they painted it on so sloppy- getting the maroon on the bordering walls, ceiling, and trim. So this is the final picture of Alyse and Lexi's bedroom wall, after I fixed Audrey's damage. It took 3 coats of primer, 2 coats of the main color, then marking and taping, 3 coats of white, Audrey's paint job, and then repainting over Audrey's paint job! So the paints thick, but I LOVE the results!!!! The previous owners left a gallon of the tan grey and a roll of blue painter's tape and I had a little white paint left, so it was a free project too! There are plenty of painting chevron tutorials on line, but to add my 2 cents.... use Frog tape- even though I pressed the painters tapes down before every coat, I still had to do plenty of touch up. Also, use 2" tape. I had to pencil in my lines to keep my 3/4" tape straight. The chevrons are 15.5" wide.
Project #2 was putting a board and batten accent wall up in the living room. I wanted Scott's help so I made sure to squeeze that in Sat. night before I have to feel guilty taking him away from homework. I had the plan drawn, supplies bought and said it would take less than 1 hour together (not including the caulking painting part). Scott said 2. Well, my original plan wasn't correct, had to refigure it in the middle and we had to go back to Home Depot to buy another board. So... Scott was correct. I'll show pictures after it's painted and the pictures hung :)
Project#3 was our laundry/craft area which was making me crazy so we got some work done there too. After a move, sometimes things are put in places that don't really work but we keep going with it until we have time to rethink it and get it to better spot. We had been doing our crafting/sewing on top of the washer and dryer and on the laundry table. Not ideal in a house that needs the washer and drying going practically all the time! I had been waiting for dry wall in our unfinished rooms to use them properly, but let's face it.... dry wall isn't happening yet (not this semester, not this summer, ...) so let's make use of the space without it. Who needs dry wall anyways! Pictures to come, eventually :)
And most importantly, the kids had time to play and create! I noticed over break, that it's in the moments of watching the kids PLAY, design and create things, and playing games with them, that I see the rewards of our school work, their imaginations, talents, and friendships and KNOW we are on the right track!
I really think, we need to take more time to just play!!!!!!!!!!
and dance like this...

Isn't that the cutest thing! The best part, is they did this themselves. They weren't posed or told to. Landon just saw a beautiful princess sister and danced with her, awwww!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment