Friday, July 15, 2011

The Birth Story

So if you didn't get it by the title... this is a birth story, skip if not interested :)  

At my appointment on the 11th, my blood pressure was getting high so I was scheduled for an induction on the 12th (yea, so ready to get this baby out and so ready for maternity leave!).  

0720-cytotec placed (1.5 cm/ 50% effaced)
0750-0850- walk the halls of the Weiser Hospital (and stop and chat with Aunt Irene and Bompi)
0850-back on the monitor for a while, dozed a little
1000ish-walked/tried out the birthing ball, feeling  contractions
1110-Dr. ruptured membranes (3 cm/75% effaced)
1125-back on the birthing ball, feeling more contractions and stronger contractions
1215- anestesiologist comes in and asks if I want the epidural now or after 1245 (I actually said no, not yet)
1220-tried the jacuzzi tub
1254-anestesiologist comes back in and offers, I gladly accept
1300-epidural in place, very effective on the right side, but feeling everything on my left
1325-4 cm/75% effaced
1330-anestesiologist reboluses the epidural and increases the pump settings
1400-anestesiologist adusts the epidural catheter, I get immediate relief and smile again!
1425-complete (expecting a baby in a few minutes)
1430-Dr. here and start pushing
1435-epidural turned off so I could feel pressure/urge to push
        still pushing and pushing (and heaving and seeing stars), pitocin and O2 started
1604-Landon arrives! (sunny side up with a forehead presentation, then hands, and finally shoulders and body)! 

I thought the labor was better than my last 4, but the delivery was incredibly more difficult.  With the girls I was in the bed from admition till after delivery and had the epidural before or at the first feelings of pain, but went from 4 to delivery in 10 minutes or less, pushing 1-2 times, and delivering a 6.0 to 6.7 pounder.  This time being up and out of the bed so much better, I think I got the epidural at just the right time, before the pain was too much, but not so early that I was stuck in bed the whole time.  It was nice to walk and try the birthing ball and tub.  However, pushing was not so easy or fun (by any means!), but now I have some empathy for patients who have to push!  It was so much harder than I imagined and wiped me out (completely). 

Landon came out with quite the forehead.  It was a bit worried when I saw him.  He had a very distinct "cone" that quickly generalized over his forehead area, then went away within 1-2 hours.  He had quite the bruising too.
see what I mean...
 BIG boy!!

7 lbs 15 oz
19 3/4" long
14" head
13 3/4" chest

Scott and I enjoyed some quiet time with him and then Noni and Aunt Rachel brought the girls in to meet him.  They all loved and adored him and had a hard time leaving him there!

1 comment:

The Despain Gang said...

Ugh sounds very difficult. Poor little guy struggled as much as his poor, tired mommy. Glad everything worked out in the end.

Can you believe Ashlynne was born at 9lbs 9oz? Her birth mom is a rock star!

Anyway loved the story and such an amazing mommy you are!