you can't find happiness at the end of your journey if you didn't bring it with you all along. -KM
Thursday, February 3, 2011
light bulb...
{Calcium} I had a talk with my dr. about this a few weeks ago. I don't drink milk (haven't since I was about 13), well unless it involves a chocolate powder or accompanied by a sugar cookie or chocolate cake. When I found out how much calcium I should be getting and compared it to what I was getting-- there was a HUGE-MAJOR-GIGANTIC deficit. I do take a vitamin that has 200 mg of calcium and eat a yogurt a day (200 mg +/-), and there is some in cheese and in the bread I buy and of course in broccoli and other things that I don't eat on a daily basis. A glass of skim milk has 300 mg, so if you are drinking 3 glasses of milk a day, you're probably ok, but if you don't.... beware! I also realized that different brands and nonfat vs original have highly varrying amounts. The highest I have found is Yoplait Original with 500 mg-- however do I wan't to pay the extra for Yoplait (6 of us eat 1 a day!)?? My mom has preosteoperosis and I only have 6 years left of absorbing calcium into my bones (ok 5 1/2) so they will get there full opportunity from now on! Do you get your calcium?????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Scary! I don't even think about this! I need to look at my kids since they all drink soy milk. Yikes! Thanks for the reminder to keep my bum in gear!
I guess it's good Boston drinks almost 30 oz of whole milk a day. He LOVES milk. Jeremy also drinks a lot of milk. I could drink more and Ashlynne obviously drinks plenty with her meals too. So I guess I'm the only slacker in the family.
Post a Comment