Thursday, November 18, 2010

What a mother doesn't want to hear.... (from her 2-year-old's dr.)

 1.  "I feel a mass in her lower right quadrant.... and see one in the x-rays, we need to transfer her to the ER."
 2.  "We think she has appendicitis."
 3.  "Memorial North won't take her because they don't admit patients under 14, Penrose won't take her because they don't have a pediatric surgeon on call on the weekend, so we are sending her to Memorial South."
 4.  "Your daughter has very concerning lab values that are 'wickedly high' and they are consistant with bone cancer, leukemia, ricketts, etc."
 5.  "I have no idea and I can't solve the puzzle."
 6.  "We need to draw more blood from her."  
 7.  "I have no answers, and we need to draw more more blood and take more x-rays."
 8.  "We still don't know, and we need more blood."
 9.  "I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you but I have been consulting with other doctors, and we need more blood at 0730 tomorrow."
10.  "It will take a week to get the results back."


and what a mother does like to hear....  (from her 2-year-old's dr.)
 1.  "Memorial Health South will take her!"
 2.  "It's not appendicitis.  She has some stool in her colon."
 3.  "Yes, you can get an appointment."
 4.  "Seven of the additional labs have had good results."
 5.  "I have been consulting with other doctors because 3 brains are better than 1."
 6.  "This could be benign."
 7.  "The x-rays are normal."
 8.  "I will have the lab call me with the results even if it is Thanksgiving weekend."
 9.  "We will send her to a specialist instead of trying to handle this at Peterson AFB."
10.  "Do you have any questions, is there anything I can do for you."

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Yikes! I hope everything is ok. I'll be praying for you guys!

kelsey said...

How terrible Ruby! I hope everything turns out alright.

Kristin said...

What? Are things okay now? That's nuts...and so scary when they are so little and can't tell you what's going on. I hope she's hanging in there and that you have gotten so answers...and that those counts are back where they need to be.

Unknown said...

Poor little Layla-- I hope everything turns out alright and they'll be able to figure out what is going on. We'll be keeping you guys in our prayers.

Dunbabin said...

How scary!! You know as well as I that it is one thing to hear those words as a nurse about your patient and its another thing to hear those words as a mom about your child. I hope everything ends up well for her!