Not the typical tree planting site!!! I think we are sitting on a massive boulder cover with a few feet of dirt! Last Friday we spent the day finding the trees we wanted, not as easy as it sounds, difficult choices and then I ended up driving an hour each way to get a 4 in 1 apple tree, and by the days end we discovered that 18" into our soil that we had a hard clay layer. This hard "clay layer" was bending the shovel, we decided we would rent a digger in the morning and call it a day. The next morning, I started working in the yard at 7:45a.m. At 10:08 p.m.
we came in very sore, sunburned, and exhausted. Digging 5 holes should not have been so hard! But it was! That huge 2 MAN auger (which really does mean 2 MAN and not 1 man, 1 women) was a beast. I have never exerted my muscles so hard. I can't even explain that thing, other than I hated every minute of it! It wouldn't dig through our clay either, so we rented a jack hammer. (That thing jars the brain too!) We attempted to get through this "clay layer" which really wasn't clay or a layer. It was rock and we never got past the "layer". The rock won, we gave up on two of our rock sites and had to refigure where we wanted our trees. We ended the night with 2 trees in the ground, we still have two left to plant, and an apricot tree to transplant. The apricot was already here, but do to our reconfiguring yard plan, our maple had to take its place. So that's tree planting in the Rocky Mountains, I guess a jack hammer really is necessary to plant a tree here! The next day I had a massive headache from my upper body marathon!!! Good thing we didn't know how hard it would be to get trees and grass!
3 comments:
This doesn't look like one bit of fun. But it doesn't surprise me that you have the muscle and will to tackle it yourself. I would have called "a guy"! Can't wait to see the finished product. I'll pray for no rain!
Wow, sounds like lots of work. It'll be so beautiful when you are done. You all look wonderful and happy. We miss you and hope to see you sometime soon. Take care, love the Hardys.
Our soil too is very rocky, clay, and sand all together and yet not all together. If there was a way to mix the entire mountain together we'd have great soil unfortunately each patch of soil is awful. I feel for ya; good luck with everything!
Post a Comment