Saturday, June 8, 2013

Rexburg, Idaho Falls, and Pocatello Trip

My mom was in the Miss Idaho Senior Pageant which gave us a good reason to head over to Eastern Idaho for a little trip.  It was only 2 days, short and sweet, but very full.  The kids missed a day of school, we stopped by the schools to put in our teacher requests (a big deal here!) and then headed out.  We stopped by Malad Gorge to see it and stretch for a bit.  This was big deal to be able to do this!  Our typical road trip has been at least a 16 hour drive, and in that case, there is just not time to get out and stretch and sight see.  We had gas stops down to a mad science race and ate in the car, otherwise we'd never get there!!!  I have driven on the freeway over Malad Gorge 1,000 + times, but never had stopped to see down in it.  It was fun  to see and explore.  We also stopped for a picnic lunch at American Reservoir and explored there for a bit too!  (Much better than making ham and cheese sandwiches on my lap and passing them back!)

We made it to Rexburg around 2 and had the rest of the day to explore campus, the temple grounds, and some of our favorite spots and old housing.  Rexburg and campus have exploded since I was there last in April 2002!  I was there for the big change from Ricks to BYU-I, a very exciting time.  Its awesome to see the growth that has happened.  When I was there, there were acres of "the gardens", now "the gardens" is a fancy path way and the rest of it is buildings!  BYU-I is still one of the best places on Earth and I may have bribed the kids with a BYU T-shirt for a promise they will go to college there :)

The Rexburg temple is also new and it was beautiful to see.  I was trying hard to get a pictures of all 6 kids together (and smiling or at least looking)- a feat in and of its self! but having Landon strapped in a car seat for the 6 hours previous, is not exactly conducive to family pictures!  I could put in 100 pictures of him squirming to get away and run, or crying, or him just getting up and running and appearing as a giant in the picture!  Hence the few  pictures with just the girls!





We drove around Rexburg and showed the kids the places we lived there.  I lived first in the dorms (not pictured) for 2 summer terms.  I showed the girls the place where Linsey Nielsen and I climbed the fence into the courtyard our FIRST night there when we thought we were locked out!  (we later found out after a certain time but before curfew you have to come in through the lobby!)  and then Sugar House, the basement of the red roof house.  It wasn't exactly nice :)  I had a spot in the dorms for the fall but my roommates didn't and I wanted to stay with them so I did and the only place we could find open was this less than desirable apartment.  So the next year, we wanted nice and moved to the newest apartments, Camden.  Pretty, new, our own bedrooms, etc. They are now small and older compared to all the new apartment complexes that have boomed.  Then I got married and our first apartment was brown bricks one, fine other than an odd smell :)  but we were happy newly weds!  We lived there for a summer and then moved into Donegal Bay townhouses for a semester and then I graduated and we moved on.

Big Judd's- great big hamburgers (plate size) and hungry heifer ice cream (15 scoops and 5 toppings)- Rexburg famous!  If you eat the whole burger you get your picture on the wall, I never have and don't ever plan on it!  We ordered two for the family and ate 1 and 1/8 but we did finish the ice cream! and Landon enjoyed his PB& J :)

After a very long night in the hotel with Landon crying a LOT (he like's his own bed), we were off to Idaho Falls, we visited the Temple grounds and the new visitors center.  A sweet sister missionary took our very first family photo with all 8 of us, with every one looking at the camera!!

Reading Book of Mormons in a LOT of different languages and interactive learning.


We stood here and told the kids the story of Daddy proposing to me in this very spot Feb 26, 2001.  I can't say that during that proposal I could imagine us in 12 years returning to that spot with 6 amazing children or that we would have spent 8 years in the Air Force or lived in so many places!  I don't remember what I imagined, but I'm sure it's better than I could have dreamed up!

 We ate a picnic lunch by the water falls across from the temple, climbed some trees and then headed on to Pocatello.

In Pocatello, we watched Grammy compete beautifully in the Ms Idaho Senior Pageant.  She was the most beautiful and talented but didn't win.   Although, since half the audience was there just for her, that's the best prize of all!  (the theater was very nice but very difficult to get good pictures in!)

Mom and the emcee -  the contestants awaiting the final results - the girls and Grammy - my brother Bob, Uncle LaVar, and Mom - mom and a lot of grandchildren there to cheer for her!

We all went out to eat and then headed for home.  It was lots of great family time!

No comments: