Friday, May 27, 2011

Back to Work

So I went back to work this week at St. Alphonsus Nampa in OB.  It's the same hospital I worked at 7 1/2 years ago, when I last worked, and the where Alyse was born.   I was SO nervous going back, nervous about working again, nervous that I had forgotten everything, nervous about working 12 1/2 hour shifts, nervous that my mind was like jello, nervous about being so prego, nervous about waking up so early, etc. etc. etc!  I may have cried a little (or a lot) about all of that!  I started Monday, and slept so little the night before... about 1 1/2 hours, because I was so nervous, anxious, excited, and afraid my alarm wouldn't work.  

It all went well though... even though the "Labor Bus" stopped by and unloaded!  It was crazy busy, but my mind wasn't jello, I felt confident and competent, most of what I knew before came right back to me, I survived 12 1/2 hours (3 days in a row) without colapsing, my alarm worked, I survived getting out of bed at 5:40 a.m., and I missed being at Alyse's spelling bee championship, but Scott recorded it for me.  The hardest part was learning computerized charting and being away from my family for 3 days (both of which stink)!

I will only have to work full-time for 7 weeks of orientation, which will be about popping time, then after maternity leave, I will only work 3 nights a pay period.

2 comments:

Dunbabin said...

Good luck with your new job! I agree starting a new job is nerve racking...I can't imagine starting a job after a 7 1/2 year absence!

Carolyn said...

As I was reading your post I remembered a way random tidbit . . . When we were living in Nampa, one of my friends was telling me about her delivery and showning me pictures. She was telling me about this amazing nurse who she just loved, then she showed me a picture of this amazing nurse and it was you. I started laughing and told her you were my friend in highschool. NO joke, that really happened. It was so random. The point is though that she loved you and thought you were the most awesome nurse ever. You'll do great again! If you don't believe me, go to my blog and click on Heidi. Maybe you'll recognize her! Good luck :-)!