Friday, October 29, 2010

Fall Break/Idaho's Harvest

For fall break the girls and I headed to Idaho.  I have made many a 16 hours drives alone with the kids, but this time I wanted someone with me so we flew my sister, Kristey, from Boise to Denver.  We enjoyed the day with her and left the next morning for our road trip to Idaho.  It made for a fun trip and Kristey got to experience what traveling with me is like (and 4 kids and a dog)!  (my stops are few and far between and all meals are made and eaten on the go!) 
14 hours later we made it to Idaho, home sweet home!

We went to Idaho to have Alyse's bapstims where family could attend.  I went in mind with a nice quiet few weeks in mind, no expectations and no plans, well other than the baptism.   However, I don't think I am mentally capable of being idle.  I find projects where ever I go, or they find me!!! 

In Weiser, Noni took us to the orchards for apple picking.




In less than 10 minutes the girls had picked 94 lbs of apples.


and then we went to the grape vineyard...

Layla sampling apples and grapes

Alyse in "Grape Land"

and we picked a bushel of grapes.

and climbing trees back at Noni's

the days harvest
(we ran out of bags so we had to be inventive and used the back pack, a laundry bag, and a gift bag that I had in the van!) and under the grapes in one box is 22 lbs of peaches...
Alyse taking the grapes off the stem (Lexi and Alaina did some too, but Alyse stuck with it!)
 A lady in Noni's ward dropped of this basket of tomatoes!
Noni and Alyse peeling tomatoes
 Layla "helping"
we froze the peaches at Noni's and then I took all the apples, grapes, and peeled tomatoes to
my mom's house and learned how to can!
 Alyse was a mighty hard worker- she turned the handle on the apple peeler/slicer/corer for about 4 hours!
 and Lexi helped peel some apples too
from all that I got 35 qt of grape juice, 18 qt of diced tomatoes, and 33 qt of really yummy chunky applesauce but no I couldn't stop there I got 66 pounds of peaches and canned those into 22 qts!   And managed to fit it all into the van coming home.  Good thing we didn't get into an accident- I can only imagine the grape juice and tomatoes everywhere!  The picking the fruit was the funnest and easiest part, but canning with my mom was fun too.  Thanks Mom for all your hard work!   I love "Harvest Time" in Idaho!  All the grapes were $5, the apples were $0.40/ lb, the peaches were $28 for 66 lb, the tomatoes were free (my mother-in-law gave my mom another box too)!  There is no way to get that in Colorado!  Buying all the jars at once was pricey but I can use them over and over.   While I was there someone from my mom's ward dropped off a big box of onion that we diced and froze those too and Scott's brother brought 100 lbs of Idaho potatoes to Noni and Bompi.   The girls also got to help Grandma Weideman pick 278 lbs of apples, which they LOVED!
And there is a million more reasons than just food to love Idaho!!!


No comments: