Thursday, May 27, 2010

Real Dogs Don't Drink Beer!

I volunteered this morning in Alyse and Lexi's class for the last day of school parties (that lasted all day!).  Alyse's class had a breakfast, reperformed their class play "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" three times for other classes, and then spent the rest of the day playing boardgames.  Lexi's class made graduation caps, played games like Bingo and pin the star on the star student, and ate snacks.  So much fun and I always love seeing them in their classrooms.  I am thankful for their amazing teachers and the great year that they had.  They both brought home perfect report cards and we look forward to a wonderful summer vacation.  However, going between the classrooms today, I noticed on the newspaper stand in front of the office a big bold headline in 3" letters that read "Real Dogs Drink Beer."  Wow, that me quite angry.  I took all the papers out of the stand, took them into the office and said, "This is not appropriate to have in a school."  The secretary said, "Did you read the article?"  My reply was, "It DOES NOT matter what the article says, the students are not stopping to turn to page 6, read it and reason it out if it is right or wrong, the headline is innaproppriate and protrays that it is cool to drink!"  When I got home I emailed the principal and vice principal saying I was the mom that removed the papers and my complaint.  My reply from the VP was, "oh, sorry, it's a district approved newspapper and so we assumed it was family friendly, thank you for bringing it to our attention."   I'm still thinking that whoever placed them in the stand should have cought that, or who ever had been walking by it before me, it's not a daily paper people...   so my thought to me today, "Be on your toes, be involved, be aware, be up on your teaching and counter teaching- Satan sneeks in everywhere."

1 comment:

The Despain Gang said...

Bring on the summer! yay for fun end-of-school events!